Honda Timing Belt Service Salt Lake City
GT Automotive recommends regular Honda timing belt replacement for your Civic, Accord, Element, CR-V, Pilot, Odyssey-any Honda car, crossover or SUV. The importance of regularly replacing Honda timing belts needs to be emphasized, because it can directly affect the performance and life of your engine. Kyle at GT Automotive in South Jordan, Utah shares in this Honda timing belt replacement video the importance of scheduled replacement of your Honda timing belt.
Keeping your Honda well maintained should keep it performing for 250,000-300,000 miles or more. We have many customers who drive Hondas with that much mileage, who will testify to that fact.
The key to keeping your Honda in great condition is regularly scheduled Honda maintenance. Regularly scheduled maintenance pin-points, services, replaces and adjusts key parts of your Honda engine. Honda engineers know in advance these services are required. This is especially important with the timing belt.
(If you are looking to buy a used Honda that is approaching 100,000 miles, or if the Honda is approaching 7 years old, one of the first questions you must ask is; “When was the timing belt replaced?” Ask for proof.)
What Honda Timing Belts Do:
- The timing belt keeps your car’s crankshaft and camshaft valves opening and shutting in sync with the pistons.
- It controls the rotation of the camshaft and crankshaft and the opening and closing of the engine’s many valves to allow air and gas in and out, which causes the fuel to ignite in the combustion chamber.
- During this explosion, the valves push the pistons down.
- In order for the process to take place, the valves have to open and close at the right time.
- The valves have to be in the correct position as well as the pistons.
- The valves open at different times for each cylinder.
- When the timing belt breaks, the valves, which are very light, will open at the wrong time and hit the larger pistons and cause damage
- Checking and replacing the belt regularly prevents breakage and serious engine damage and helps you avoid getting stranded on the highway.
- Timing belts with cracked and/or missing teeth can cause your Honda to idle rough, become sluggish, suffer engine clattering or backfiring.
- If your Honda timing belt breaks, your engine fails, causing your car to shut down.
- Because most Hondas are interference engines, having a timing belt break while driving will probably cause the pistons to bend the valves, due to their colliding without the clearance provided by the timing belt movement.
- Unfortunately, in most cases, there are no obvious signs the timing belt is near the breaking point-it will just break.
- Changing a timing belt on a Honda Civic, Accord, CR-V, Odyssey, Pilot, Element, before it wears out is critical.
- Damage will occur if the timing belt wears down enough to break while the car is running.
- Honda recommends the timing belt to be changed every 105,000 miles. But, it’s a good idea to change the timing belt before the car reaches 105,000 miles, because of the potential major engine damage that can result from a broken Honda timing belt.
GT Automotive can replace your Honda timing belt at the factory recommended mileage intervals. This procedure will help to prevent premature engine failure and costly repairs, and can help to ensure that your engine is running efficiently and quietly for a long time.
Call 801.302.0912 for Honda service and repair in Salt Lake City from our factory trained Honda and Acura technicians-our Honda techs have over 37 combined years of Honda auto repair expertise.
Since 1980, GT Automotive and our ASE certified and factory trained Honda and Acura technicians have been serving Honda car owners in the Salt Lake Valley for all their vehicle repair needs. Call us today, 801-302-0912, about servicing and repairing your Honda or Acura in Salt Lake City.