Could Your Subaru Need a Timing Belt Replacement?
Need Subaru car repair in Salt Lake City? You are driving for a while and the car just “shuts off”. The lights on your instrument panel come on, but your engine just “turns over” and does not start. If your Subaru has 80,000 miles, 90,000 miles or more, the cause of your breakdown could very well be your timing belt has broken. Tim Stapleton, owner of GT Automotive in South Jordan, Utah, explains in this Subaru car repair video a common Subaru car repair-timing belt replacement.
Subaru Timing belts are crucial to the proper functioning of engines that use cams to operate cylinder valves.
- Subaru’s overhead cam engine was introduced in the late 1980’s, and is still used today. These engines proved much quieter, replacing Subaru’s earlier push-rod engines-they used a chain and sprockets to rotate the camshaft.
- These new overhead cam engines were operated through a timing belt. As opposed to anoisy chain, these timing belts were made of reinforced rubber, with fiberglass strands for strength and resistance to stretching.
- Although much quieter than a chain and sprockets, the timing belt needs to changed periodically.
- The timing belt should be changed every 90,000-105,000 miles, according to Subaru’s maintenance schedule.
Subaru Timing Belts:
- Turn the engine’s camshaft, which helps open and close the cylinder valves. These valves bring air and fuel into the cylinder heads, and move exhaust gases out.
- Also drive the water pump.
- Do not require lubrication, compared to timing chains and gears.
- While quieter, less expensive, and more efficient, need to be replaced more often.
- Break more easily than gears and chains.
- Need to be replaced BEFORE they break.
- When broken, can damage your engine, and may cause your engine to suddenly stop running without warning.
GT Automotive has certified Subaru mechanics to service and repair your Subaru vehicle.
GT Automotive also has certified technicians specializing in Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Audi and VW. We also service and repair all domestic and import model cars and trucks. Complete auto repair services from engine overhauls and rebuilds to clutches, brakes, fast oil changes, State Safety Inspections, Emissions Tests and “On-The-Spot” DMV Tag Renewals. Call us at 801-302-0912, or visit us online atwww.GTAutomotive.com.